Defence Manufacturing Sector
Up to £60,000 plus benefits (Relocation Assistance May Be Available)
Our client, is a “safety first” accredited ISO 9001/ ISO 14001 business, which forms part of a well-respected, profitable and dynamic group. Recognised as
a leading niche supplier of specialist munitions, pyrotechnics, 12 Gauge, EOD and public order solutions, they boast a diverse international customer base and have an enviable reputation for their
performance, agility, product quality and innovative designs.
Reporting to the Technical Director and working as a key member of the technical team, the focus of the role is on developing solutions to engineering
problems, with an emphasis on enabling the delivery and management of a wide range of projects within the area of Pyrotechnics. This will require the utilisation of advanced design methods to
introduce, qualify and optimise new and more efficient products, services and production techniques.
In addition to deadlines, budgets and other managerial tasks, you will also lead and mentor a small multi-disciplined team, acting as the “go to person”
and a conduit between senior management and your subordinates. You will also be expected to take the lead in simplifying systems, improving processing and developing robust manufacturing guidelines
that will enhance the smooth transition of projects from development into the production environment in order to meet customer needs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Technical Director with existing and new projects, including work on design, problem solving, process improvement and project
- Design and test pyrotechnic chemical compositions, which provide the desired affects and are safe for manufacture and use within the end the product,
ensuring designs and processes comply with safety regulations ER2014.
- Ensure all projects comply with the current design manual/certification process; recommend/implement “best practice” project management
- Mentor, coach and develop other engineering and production staff members.
- Provide support to the engineering and R&D function to help ensure commitments and deadlines are achieved.
- Undertake problem solving (cross functional) using statistical analysis, graphs and problem solving tools (DFMEA/PFMEA).
- Follow the companies safe systems of work, ensuring personal safety and safety of others is the highest priority at all times.
- Support process improvements and provide troubleshooting support (risk reduction, process time assessments and process improvements).
- Implement and control project planning schedules, ensure robust budgetary control and take ownership of the control of apportioned finance for product and
- Design/develop product and the in-line category with project requirements.
- Design and test pyrotechnic chemical compositions, which provide the desired affects and are safe for manufacture and use within the end the
- Design and test projectiles, which provide ballistic affects in line with required military standards or customer requirements.
- Ensure the technical methods of building new products are well documented.
- Assist in the development of tooling/equipment for new and existing products.
- Aid the construction of technical literature for the relevant product categories.
- Control and build small batch quantities and/or prototypes for customer/end user trials.
- Make recommendations for improvements to capabilities through investment opportunities.
- Write procedures and undertake testing to qualify product for storage life, compound analysis and transportation requirements.
- Ensure existing patents are not infringed; support the patent application/search process.
- Support supplier assessments as required, ensure all duties are compliant with relevant HSWA legislation, (ER2014 & 18001) and environmental
procedures (ISO 14001).
- Minimum HNC, preferably educated to degree level in a STEM subject (Chemistry/Energetics/Materials Science) with at least 5+ years relevant industry
- Experience within an explosive handling, pyrotechnics, ballistics or hazardous materials/chemical composition environment.
- Demonstrate general and specific knowledge of a technical environment and aligned product category with the ability to exercise independent judgement and
management in the delivery of a wide range of projects across the full product lifecycle.
- Experience of an explosives/small munitions environment: - general knowledge of ammunition or pyrotechnics and the methods of creation and potential
- An adaptable & natural leader that others will want to follow: - must be able to demonstrate the skills of a mentor and teach/develop team members how
to problem solve.
- Ability to read, assimilate and interpret technical information and convey this effectively to all team members in order to ensure that they fully
understand what is required from them.
- Have the know how to deliver work efficiently in a controlled and structured way.
- Able to take the lead in simplifying systems, improving processing and developing robust manufacturing guidelines for the smooth transition of projects
from development into the production environment.
- Financially astute, able to manage budgets and accurately record project costs.
- Hands on experience of taking manufacturing based projects from design concept into production within a stringent “safety first ISO9001
- An excellent grasp of engineering principles, including strong knowledge of design, product development, project creation, troubleshooting and project
- Ability to understand manufacturing processes, deadlines, methods and manufacturing techniques within a highly responsive SME environment.
- Confident in front of customers; able to understand their requirements whilst understanding of the importance of evidential, analytically based decision
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to assimilate information and problem solve.
- Adhere to timescales & product requirements; manage, prioritise and plan projects.
- Key personal skills include: - initiative, flexibility, confident, good communication skills, attention to detail, time management, ability to work under
pressure and multi task.
- Highly IT literate with computer applications/design software for engineering drawings and principles, in particular use of MS Excel and Solidworks is
- Strong design skills, including experience of prototyping, build qualification and tool design.
- Experience of process improvement, quality systems/ standards, health & safety standards, machines and tools, engineering /technology principles and
- Able to perform in an environment which encourages team work and creativity.
- Driving licence & UK Passport:-willingness to travel within the UK/ overseas.
- Hold or be able to hold SC clearance.
Please send your detailed CV quoting reference 18/1954 to our retained consultant David Smalley at Daniels Smalley Partnership, email firstname.lastname@example.org