Circa £60,000 + bonus + benefits
Our client, is a “safety first” accredited ISO 9001/ ISO 14001 business, which forms part
of a well-respected, profitable and dynamic group. Recognised as a leading niche supplier of specialist munitions, pyrotechnics, 12 Guage, counter drone, EOD and public order solutions, they boast a
diverse international customer base and have an enviable reputation for their performance, agility, product quality and innovative designs.
The key role of the Financial Controller is to provide financial and commercial leadership
for the Company within the direction and policy guidelines as laid down by the Group.
Reporting to the Managing Director and functionally to the Group Finance Director / CEO,
the Financial Controller will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, reporting and controlling all finance, IT and commercial related activities within the
Company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, job costing and commercial activities.
- Lead and participate in all financial operations including reporting, forecasting,
invoicing, cash management, accounts payable/receivable and payroll processing.
- Undertake a “hands on” leading role in the monthly accounting close, ensuring timeliness,
accuracy, completeness, and compliance with Group policy.
- Prepare monthly management accounts & forecasts including P&L, Balance Sheet,
Cash Flow, Actual v Estimate etc. with accompanying financial and operational commentary, (including
variance analysis) for presentation to management.
- Act as an influential and integral part of the local senior management team;
provide management with the advice on the financial implications of business activities and
- Critically review existing financial reporting, IT & ERP, SAGE Accounting Systems
across the business. Identify opportunities for removing any duplication of processes and provide advice on the most appropriate systems for the activities.
- Management of IT Systems through our external provider ensuring that systems are
adequately maintained, backed up and upgraded to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Formulate, recommend, and implement policies, procedures, systems and financial controls
related to financial accounting, record keeping and reporting.
- Develop KPI’s and scorecards for all areas of the business, ensuring robust processes are in place for capturing and reporting data.
- Management of the commercial team to provide a robust service in all aspects of costings,
tenders, bids and quotes in support of sales opportunities identified by the business development team. This also includes the application and control of the necessary licences, permits, bonds,
guarantees, letters of credit, etc. required for the successful execution, delivery, and prompt payment of sales orders.
- Take the lead in raising the profile of the function across all activities of the
business, provide advice to non-financial managers.
- Provide support to the Managing Director with all aspects of financial management. Work
closely with the functional managers to provide key financial and commercial advice as well as cost /performance information on new customers/suppliers, product, contracts & development
- Establish a robust finance accounts receivable function from invoice to collection along with maintaining & reviewing debt collection
processes and a timely local credit control function.
- Oversee and lead the financial planning process, including the preparation of annual
budgets and revisions to forecasts.
- Complete and file VAT & Intrastat returns and other legislative
- Evaluate Capex proposals / Business Cases and verify all financial information including
savings, margins payback and ROI. Liaise with management team to ensure robust reporting on approved
projects and implement a program of post approval tracking.
- Prepare and coordinate the R&D Tax Credit computations and support the annual
- Support to the R&D function with Assets under Construction and Project Accounting in
- Prepare the year end statutory accounts and liaise with external auditors to manage these
through to completion.
- Pro-actively provide recommendations to the Managing Director and the Group Finance
Director, which will strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with UK GAAP and appplicable standards for financial and tax
- Travel as
- A Qualified Accountant (CIMA, ACA or ACCA) with relevant experience of operating within a
highly demanding manufacturing environment.
- Educated to Degree Level.
- Proficiency in PC and Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Strong costing knowledge, including experience of using/ reviewing costing
- Financial & ERP Systems implementation and development experience.
- Previous experience of being a member on a local management team, able to make a
pro-active contribution across all activities of the business.
- Familiarity with manufacturing and integrated business systems; Sage 200 experience
- Well-developed strategic & planning skills, including the use of analytical tools and
modelling experience for producing forecasts, business case justification etc.
- A professional team player, able to work with other managers and
- Display a clear commitment to achieving goals and deadlines, while demonstrating a
flexible and ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills, able to build strong and productive
relationships with all stakeholders. Communicates and listens well, persuasive and influential.
- An accomplished leader who can provide effective vision and direction. Builds commitment,
fosters teamwork and motivates others.
- A strategic thinker, able to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems, balances
multiple tasks simultaneously and makes quick decisions.
- Conveys a professional and positive image and attitude. Adaptable, drives for results,
demonstrates energy, integrity and passion.
- A good organiser, able to work to tight and demanding timescales, resolves problems and
manages conflicting priorities.
- Commercially astute, with the strength of character to challenge at all levels when
required on issues relating to financial direction, decision making and ambitions.
- A Full Driving Licence.
Please send your detailed CV quoting ref 21/2010 to our retained consultant David Smalley at Daniels Smalley Partnership, email