Electronics Manufacturing & Engineering Services - Defence & Aerospace
Circa £50k - £55K + Bonus +Benefits
Our client is a profitable £16M turnover contract manufacturing & through-life system engineering services business with an impressive portfolio of capabilities. As an integral part of a
larger group, they offer a breadth of manufacturing and engineering solutions which focus on the flexibility, agility and quality of their work for high profile customers in the Defence, Aerospace
and Electronics Manufacturing sectors.
A progressive and innovative company, with technically differentiated products & services, it is currently entering a planned period of transformational growth across its existing operations
within the aerospace & defence marketplace as well as in new sectors where it is rapidly developing innovative, cutting edge products & services.
The Procurement Manager will manage the adherence and governance of all procurement work instructions and drive activities across multiple categories of spend to support the business in achieving
its milestones for delivering on time, on cost and on quality in line with customer requirements. You will also develop and execute the purchasing strategy and will take the lead on the strategic
procurement activities required to support the needs of the business units and meet the overall growth plans of the company.
- Reporting directly to the Managing Director and as an integral part of the management team; provide full procurement support to all business units, with a particularly emphasis on negotiating
requirements for engineering resources including: - raw materials, build to print assemblies, electronic components, engineering, through life and subcontract services.
- Oversee the sourcing of all parts, components, materials, equipment, goods and services required to support the activities of the business and achieve sustained continual cost reduction, delivery
and quality targets.
- Lead the procurement team, update and review all departmental KPI’s; set objectives, mentor and evaluate all members of team.
- Provide timely and dedicated reports on all procurement activities and existing commitments.
- Establish and monitor an appropriate supplier KPI regime, review procurement metrics on performance and challenge the business to improve efficiencies.
- Execute business wide sourcing activity in order to put fit-for-purpose supply contracts in place and ensure that robust procurement processes are consistently applied.
- Take ownership of the strategy for major spends, including ownership of strategic supplier relationships; play an influential role in negotiating, managing and developing collaborative supplier
- Support major bid activity where there is a significant procurement requirement from an early assessment of risks, financial liabilities and constraints, through delivery to service.
- Produce strategic sourcing plans for the business that detail procurement commitments for bids, programs and new product development activities.
- Implement procurement strategies that support new product development activities across the company and ensure that the business units are aware of any impacts on timelines.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the methodologies of the function; identify and implement improvement activities, track all changes to costs, savings & progress through the utilisation of
KPI benchmarked action plans.
- Ensure all items are purchased to meet customer flow downs and comply with the requirements for FAI, AS9100/IS09001, and Nadcap etc.
- Identify new suppliers, negotiate/improve payment terms and supply agreements; where appropriate, critically asses, reduce and streamline non-performing suppliers.
- Conduct supplier visits and audits as required, perform cost, scenario analysis and benchmarking; ensure adherence to our core values and principles.
- Support the development of structured supplier contracts, whilst increasing supply flexibility for future growth; ensure good project management is applied to reduce risk.
- Identify and resolve supplier issues that impact on business schedules and implement corrective action plans as required.
- Manage the flow of change requests and change notices to and from the supplier in compliance with contract terms & conditions.
- Implement a strategic procurement excellence programme that continuously improves purchasing methods, drives down external spend & internal cost, track usage trends and reduces stock and
- Oversee the procurement of direct subcontract management activities required; manage all subcontracts, requisitions, PO’s & invoicing requirements.
- Engineering, Science, Supply Chain Management or other relevant degree.
- MCIPS or equivalent professional qualifications preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ “hands on” experience as a Procurement Manager, with a strong emphasis on leadership, strategic procurement and new product introduction: - able to perform within a
commercially focused and growth orientated low/medium volume SME manufacturing environment.
- An understanding of strategic procurement within the areas of Electronics, Aerospace & Defence sectors could be beneficial as would any relevant experience within new and evolving
technologies, including rapid growth electronics, communication networks or artificial intelligence.
- Strong project management, presentation and supplier development skills.
- Experience of establishing strong strategic working relationships with suppliers.
- Display the influencing skills required to negotiate and manage contractual terms and conditions whilst developing collaborative relationships.
- Demonstrate an understanding of end-to-end supply chain activities such as strategic planning, resource planning, management of MRP systems, materials & subcontract procurement (make or buy)
and logistics & shipping.
- Commercial astute with strong financial and analytical skills: - understands the importance of utilising effective procurement to unlock value for a business.
- Has the ability to prioritise and make strategic decisions as well as to manage the day to day operations of the department.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and decision making skills.
- Able to grasp the commercial aspects of procurement activities, including robust processes for bids, contracts and terms & conditions of business.
- High quality communication ability, both written and orally; excellent interpersonal, listening and presentation skills.
- Strong leadership skills: - be approachable and have the ability to build working relationships with the small team of buyers.
- Has a pragmatic approach to ensuring that strategies can be fully executed in order to support the design and development activities of the business.
- Strong project management, problem solving, planning and budgeting skills.
- Display a “can do attitude” and be able to develop strong inter-departmental working relationships across the business and with key suppliers.
- Professional, self-motivated and self-disciplined, with the ability to work to tight and demanding timescales.
- Have an aptitude for continuous improvement and be able overcome challenges and achieve results.
- Well develop IT Skills: - MS Office, MRP systems and SAGE accounting.
- Full clean UK driving licence, valid Passport, hold or be able to hold SC clearance.
Please send your detailed CV quoting reference 17/1917 to our retained consultant David Smalley at Daniels Smalley Partnership, email