Electronics Manufacturing & Engineering Services - Defence & Aerospace
To £50K + Benefits
Our client is a profitable £16M turnover contract manufacturing & through-life system engineering services business with an impressive portfolio of capabilities. As an integral part of a
larger group, they offer a breadth of manufacturing and engineering solutions which focus on the flexibility, agility and quality of their work for high profile customers in the Defence, Aerospace
and Electronics Manufacturing sectors.
A progressive and innovative company, with technically differentiated products & services, it is currently entering a planned period of transformational growth across its existing operations
within the aerospace & defence marketplace as well as in new sectors where it is rapidly developing innovative, cutting edge products & services.
The IT Manager will ensure that the company’s IT and communications infrastructure is running smoothly and securely and will take the lead in developing a “fit for purpose” IT strategy that will
align the IT service management with robust ITIL practices in order to meet the growth plans of the business. You will also take a pro-active approach towards the review and further development of
current and new systems, including the future proofing of technologies in order to enhance reporting, decision making and overall organisational effectiveness.
- Reporting directly to the Managing Director, you will work closely with colleagues, suppliers and business units across the organisation in order to successfully deliver IT department
- Represent the company as the Information Technology Security Officer (ITSO).
- Take the lead in making the IT department a more strategic function, identify opportunities and make recommendations for improvements across current/new systems; clearly demonstrate how this
would help drive MISimprovements and enhance decision making across the business.
- Manage the operations within the department, including the supervision and development of a small team of direct reports.
- Establish an organisational enterprise information security programme and make recommendations to the senior management team on cost effective options and protection for all corporate data and IT
- Set and manage IT budgets; including involvement with Capex and IT equipment projects necessary to support strategic requirements.
- Oversee the further development of the SAGE Line 200 ERP systems and implement an appropriate CRM system that will revolutionise the efficiency and performance of internal processes across the
- Embed improved cyber security measures across the business; oversee any IT training requirements and support senior management with any required educational and cultural change programmes in
accordance with our core values and leadership principles.
- Support the accredited MoD network security, including the management of penetration tests and the impact of business change on audit requirements, readiness and acceptance.
- Maintain CESG/MoD Security Accreditation for the business and ensure compliance for protectively marked HMG material.
- Increase measures and eliminate risks against CESG/HMG and DIAS (Defence Information Assurance System) Security Policy Frameworks.
- Establish a Security Working Group; act as the technical authority to deliver policy, procedural and cultural change. Take the lead in managing cost effective & timely business IT
- Manage IT systems, policies and procedures; including documentation for health & safety requirements, data security, network access, user permissions, data protection compliance, back-up
systems and disaster recovery.
- Oversee strategic IT procurement programmes; manage external IT supplier relationships and associated contracts, including networks, data hosting, hardware purchase and configuration.
- Manage supplier relationships for the control of internal and external (cloud based) servers; ensure all Windows based servers have appropriate up time monitoring and that operating systems, MS
Office updates and fixes are applied in a timely fashion.
- Maintain desktop applications, LANs, Data Comms, WI-FI Networks and Broadband requirements.
- Oversee inventory management of IT related business assets; perform routine audits of systems and software, including an assessment of risks.
- Provide technical support for user hardware and software support including desktop, laptop computers, printers, copiers, desktop phone systems as well as the mobile phone network & associated
- Take ownership for the company’s website; provide technical support to the marketing team to assist them with future development.
- Ensure the business is compliant with any software licensing requirements; including effective network security & firewall protection.
- Support the group, with any IT related duties, expertise, projects or implementations as required.
- BS in Computer Science, MIS or similar field.
- Ideally hold or be prepared to obtain a recognised information security qualification such as Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Security Professional
(CISSP) or CESG Certified Professional (CCP), SIRA/Accreditor.
- At least 5 years’ experience of working as a “hands on” IT Manger; ideally this should have been gained within a commercially focused manufacturing environment.
- An understanding of MoD Security issues relating to the Electronics, Aerospace & Defence sectors would also be beneficial; similarly relevant IT experience within new and evolving
technologies such as rapid growth electronics, communication networks or artificial intelligence would also be of interest.
- Able to operate as the ITSO for the business and provide specialist advice on all information security management, vulnerabilities and risk matters.
- Familiarity with computer networks (administration / installation) as well as manufacturing and integrated business systems including SAGE Line 200, 123 MRP and CRM systems; an understanding of
hosting and protection solutions for sensitive data would be advantageous.
- Able to combine strong analysis, evaluation and testing expertise with a real desire to champion the adoption of new technologies within a business.
- An excellent knowledge of Governance, Cyber & Security related issues, including Cyber Essentials PLUS, robust firewall protection, back-up systems and disaster recovery plans.
- An understanding of Windows Servers, Mainframes, Networks, and Telecoms - also Proficiency with PC, SQL and MS Office.
- Have the ability to make strategic decisions as well as to manage the day to day operations of the department.
- Experience in the procurement of IT hardware, software, maintenance products and services.
- Strong leadership, project management, problem solving, planning and budgeting skills.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills; demonstrate flexibility required to adapt plans, identify solutions and meet tight deadlines.
- Display a “can do attitude” and be able to develop strong inter-departmental working relationships across the business and with key suppliers.
- Full clean UK driving licence, valid Passport, hold or be able to hold SC clearance.
Please send your detailed CV quoting reference 17/1915 to our retained consultant David Smalley at Daniels Smalley Partnership, email